HOME COMMITTEE CMCC DIARY SLMA RUPEE FUND CONTACT US ABOUT
Copyright © 2013 SriLankaMalay All Rights Reserved
  SRI LANKA MALAY ASSOCIATION
PERSATUAN MELAYU SRI LANKA
ESTD. 1922
In 1925, history was made when the foundation stone of the CMCC pavilion and Jainudeen Memorial Hall was laid at  Rifle Green by the Hon. Morrison, officer commanding troops in Sri Lanka. The structures were erected and within a  year, the pavilion and Memorial Hall were opened by Sir Hugh Clifford, the then Governor of Ceylon. During World War II Rifle Green was requisitioned and the ground and pavilion were taken over by the British  Government as a recruiting centre to the British Armed Forces. After conclusion of the war, the British Government  honourably returned Rifle Green to the Malay CC in 1945. However, regrettably Rifle Green was once again acquired  for relocating the Slave Island Police Station and Quarters for personnel and Malay CC were asked to accept a  “Police Singlemen’s Barrack” (a hut with a straw-thatched roof) at Kew Road. Notwithstanding this setback, the CMCC persevered under the leadership of their President, B. Zahiere Lye and  made representations to successive governmental authorities seeking redress for the acquisition of their Rifle Green  “home”. In1957, the state allotted sufficient land for a ground at Kew Road, Slave Island. The CMCC members set about  transforming this land to a cricket ground and two years later the mission was accomplished. A new pavilion was also  built and completed in 1960 with the Governor General, Sir Oliver Goonatilleke declaring it open at the invitation of  Club President Mr. B. Zahiere Lye. The chief benefactor was showman Donovan Andree who organized a carnival  and donated the proceeds for construction of the pavilion. In 1961, the ground was declared open by the then  Inspector General of Police Mr. M. W. F. Abeykoon and named the PADANG. It took another two years before the  ground was finally ready to take on competitive cricket. As time passed by with successive committees renovations  and extensions were carried out to the pavilion and boundry. Standing the test of time, the Padang Complex served as the oldest Ceylonese Cricket Club and the oldest Malay  Body for many decades and in 1994 this landmark building was given a new lease of life with transformation of the  pavilion into a two a storied complex with a spacious auditorium, secretariat, cultural centre, prayer room, artifact  room and changing rooms to house the many varied activities of the Colombo Malay Cricket Club and the Sri Lanka  Malay Association, with a magnificent donation by a Malaysian philanthropist and other generous well wishes. The  team that spearheaded this transformation was led by President B. M. N. Jurangpathy and was popularly known and  nick named the ‘gang of five’ whose efforts will be notched in the Padang heritage. The complex now stands tall and  handsome entwined to match the changing city skyline establishing a monument of glory for the Malays.  SDR. B. M. N. JURANGPATHY President CMCC / SLMA  SDR. M.T. SARIFF’ODEEN Hony. Gen. Secretary SLMA SDR. ROYSTEN LYE Hony. Gen. Secretary CMCC SDR. T.C.BUCKMAN Club Captain CMCC SDR. T.A.OUSMAND Treasurer CMCC/SLMA