HOME COMMITTEE CMCC DIARY SLMA RUPEE FUND CONTACT US ABOUT Next Page
Copyright © 2013 SriLankaMalay All Rights Reserved
Commerative Books
  SRI LANKA MALAY ASSOCIATION
PERSATUAN MELAYU SRI LANKA
ESTD. 1922
COLOMBO  MALAY CRICKET CLUB - A Brief
Around 1100 Malay troops of the Dutch Colonial Army were absorbed into the Rifle Regiment formed by the British in  1827. The close association of the Malays with the British Military personnel saw them take to the game of Cricket like  ducks to water. The Rifle Regiment comprised. Malay soldiers (from Java) but had British Officers. The cricket craze  imbued in the Malays gave rise to a historic encounter on March 23, 1872, between an All-Malay team fielded by the  Rifle Regiment and a British Regimental side.  Consequently, the British Government gifted the Malays the northern end  of the Rifle Parade Grounds at Slave Island which led to the founding of the Malay Cricket Club (now the Colombo  Malay Cricket Club) in 1872, as the oldest Ceylonese Cricket Club. In later years, the Malay Club cricketers added  finesse to their play and in 1920 became Ceylon Club Champions.    In 1925, the foundation stone of the CMCC pavilion and Jainudeen Memorial Hall was laid at Rifle Green by the Hon.  Morrison, officer commanding troops in Sri Lanka. The structures were erected mostly out of funds donated by Mudliyar  Jainudeen. Within a year, the pavilion and Memorial Hall were opened by Sir Hugh Clifford, the then Governor of  Ceylon. The Malay Cricket Club has an unbroken history of over one hundred and thirty four years. Honour was  bestowed on the club when it  hosted the historic meeting inaugurating a new controlling body for cricket in the country  – the Ceylon Cricket Board of Control (now Sri Lanka Cricket) at the Malay CC Pavilion, at Rifle Green, Slave Island  (Colombo 2)  on  25th June, 1948.    When World War II broke out in 1939, Rifle Green was requisitioned and the ground and pavilion  taken over by the  British Government as a recruiting centre for the intake of Ceylonese to the British Armed Forces. After conclusion of the  war, the British Government honourably returned Rifle Green to the Malay CC in 1945 and arrangements made for  restoration of the green. However the Malays were perturbed when they learnt of plans to acquire Rifle Green for  relocating the Slave Island Police Station and Quarters for personnel. While construction was apace, the pavilion was  spared. However, in 1957, this too was taken over and Malay CC were asked to accept a “Police Singlemen’s Barrack”  (a hut with a straw-thatched roof) at Kew Road.    Notwithstanding this setback, the CMCC persevered under the leadership of their vibrant President, B.Zahiere Lye and  made representations to successive governmental authorities seeking redress for the acquisition of their Rifle Green  “home”. These paid rich dividends when in 1957, the regime of the late Hon. S.W.R.D. Bandaranaike allotted sufficient  land for a ground at Kew Road, Slave Island. The CMCC members set about transforming this land to a cricket ground  and two years later the mission was accomplished.  However there was much more to be done to raise the standard of  the ground. A new pavilion was also built and completed in 1960 with the Governor General, Sir Oliver Goonatilleke  declaring it open at the invitation of Club President Mr. B. Zahiere Lye. The chief benefactor was showman Donovon  Andree who organized a carnival and donated the proceeds for construction of the pavilion. In 1961, the ground was  declared open by the then Inspector General of Police Mr. M. W.F.Abeykoon and named the PADANG.  It took another  two years before the ground was finally ready to take on competitive